Macquarie Island is located halfway between Tasmania and Antarctica and a station was established on the “green sponge” in 1948. The Island was used as a half way point to establish the first radio link between Australia and Antarctica duringSir Douglas Mawson’s 1911 expedition.

Location: 54° 37′ 12″ S, 158° 51′ 40″ E (−54.6199, 158.861)

Macquarie Island local time:

Throughout the year, the Macquarie Island teems with vast congregations of wildlife. Where the nutrient rich waters of the Southern Ocean meet warmer northern waters, rich feeding grounds are created and make the island an ideal haven for penguins, seals and seabirds to live and breed. Macquarie Island was declared a wildlife sanctuary in 1933. In 1997, World Heritage status was granted due to its outstanding geological and natural significance.

The day to day management of Macquarie Island nature reserve and World Heritage Area is the responsibility of the Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service. Rabbits, rats and mice, brought to the island over nearly 200 years of visitation and occupation were finally eradicated in 2014, after a 7-year, eradication program. With grazing pressures removed, the island is returning to its former lush, green glory.

on